Franchise News Release:
Waco, TX - (Mar-17-2003)
Glass Doctor Top 10 Tips for National Window Safety Week
In observance of National Window Safety Week, April 21-25, Glass Doctor®, one of the nation's largest glass service and repair franchises, is educating consumers on how to create safer environments while the number and size of windows in the average American home continues to increase.
"Homes today are constructed with more windows, larger windows, and even double-story windows," said Robert Tunmire, president of Glass Doctor. "While they are a beautiful addition to any home, there are precautions that responsible homeowners should take in making their home a safe environment."
Glass Doctor offers the following consumer tips for National Window Safety Week:
- Develop a fire emergency escape plan for you and your family.
- Install safety film on windows to protect family members and belongings from flying glass if/when a window is broken. Safety film is thicker than traditional UV-ray protection film, and it still protects furnishings from fading, reduces heat loss, and provides an added level of protection.
- Replace cracked or broken glass in any window immediately. A cracked window is more susceptible to shattering and cannot withstand weather elements or weight of any kind.
- Avoid placing furniture next to windows. Keep furniture or anything that children can climb away from windows.
- Do not paint or nail windows shut. Remember that windows can be a safe means of escape in the event of an emergency such as a fire.
- Window guards or window fall-prevention devices must have a release mechanism to allow for escape during a fire emergency.
- Consider the type of windows you need for the area in which you live. New windows have been designed with an inner layer of plastic to meet hurricane standards.
- Window screens are not designed to prevent falls. Make sure window screens are properly installed to repel bugs, but do not allow small children to play near them.
- Never rest against the window of a window seat. Proper window seats should have weight-bearing options to the sides.
- For more information on window safety, visit the National Safety Council at www.nsc.org or locate your nearest Glass Doctor at www.glassdoctor.com.
About Glass Doctor:
Established in 1962, Glass Doctor® offers complete glass replacement, service and repairs to the automotive, residential and commercial markets. Glass Doctor is a subsidiary of The Dwyer Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:DWYR), one of the world?s largest Franchise holding companies in the residential and commercial service business. For further information or to find the location nearest you, visit www.glassdoctor.com.
About The Dwyer Group:
The Dwyer Group Inc., based in Waco, Texas, is a public holding company that owns six franchisor corporations. Each corporation sells and supports a different service-based brand name franchise under the following service marks: Aire Serv® Heating & Air Conditioning, Glass Doctor®, Mr. Appliance®, Mr. Electric®, Mr. Rooter® (Drain Doctor® in the UK), and Rainbow International® Carpet Care and Restoration Specialist. The Dwyer Group is also affiliated with another franchisor corporation named DreamMaker Bath & Kitchen by Worldwide® (an associate company). Collectively, the franchisees of these franchise concepts offer customers a broad base of residential and commercial services. The concepts currently support over 900 franchisees in the United States and, through their master licensees, nearly 400 more franchisees in 21 other countries.